E51 DAB adapter - anyone tried one in their Elgrand?

lolgamlen

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi
I am picking up my 2004 E51 in a few days and keen to sort out the audio. In a previous car I used a Pure Highway DAB Adaptor which worked pretty well most of the time (In good reception areas anyway). I was just wondering if anyone has this sort of set up in their Elgrand and if so did you need to use a band extender?

Thanks for any help given
Cheers
Laurence

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi
I am picking up my 2004 E51 in a few days and keen to sort out the audio. In a previous car I used a Pure Highway DAB Adaptor which worked pretty well most of the time (In good reception areas anyway). I was just wondering if anyone has this sort of set up in their Elgrand and if so did you need to use a band extender?

Thanks for any help given
Cheers
Laurence
Hi Lawrence,
Apologies if I'm not reading your question right - I see two issues here:
1 - the Band Extender: (do you mean band expander?)is a gadget that fits between the OEM radio and vehicle antenna to 'shift down' the UK FM frequencies to ones that the OEM radio can receive - see my post #6 here for an understanding of this.

2 - the Pure Highway DAB adaptor - my understanding of these type of devices is that they have their own antenna (which is tuned to the UK DAB frequencies) and the output is via a 3.5mm audio jack that needs to be plugged into the Elgrand's infotainment system (and therefore nothing to do with the band extender/expander).

@Phil had a go with a DAB adaptor (not Pure though) and had varying results, enough for me at least, to not as yet consider DAB for my Elgrand.

lolgamlen

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi Lawrence,
Apologies if I'm not reading your question right - I see two issues here:
1 - the Band Extender: (do you mean band expander?)is a gadget that fits between the OEM radio and vehicle antenna to 'shift down' the UK FM frequencies to ones that the OEM radio can receive - see my post #6 here for an understanding of this.

2 - the Pure Highway DAB adaptor - my understanding of these type of devices is that they have their own antenna (which is tuned to the UK DAB frequencies) and the output is via a 3.5mm audio jack that needs to be plugged into the Elgrand's infotainment system (and therefore nothing to do with the band extender/expander).

@Phil had a go with a DAB adaptor (not Pure though) and had varying results, enough for me at least, to not as yet consider DAB for my Elgrand.
Hi Alan, Thanks for your reply. The DAB adaptor I used tuned into DAB frequencies via a simple stick on the window aerial and would then play through a spare fm frequency that it would find on the standard player. It worked well and was a cheap and easy fix. I just wondered if any members had tried it on the original fm radio with any success, or whether there was a need for a band extender. Cheer, Laurence

lolgamlen

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Ah @lolgamlen , I get it - the OEM radios operate in the FM range 76Mhz - 90Mhz so providing the DAB unit can transmit down to one of these frequencies then you'll not need the expander.
Amd I think that the oem kit already onboard will have an aux socket that the DAB unit can plug into, although having read up on a number of threads, this might not work, plus there might be an issue with the complex UV prtection glass in the windscreen screwing up the signal... complicated all this stuff!

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
As @Alan Morgan says, I've got a dab add on in mine. 95% of the time it's fine locally. But I would need it to be 100% t recommend it.

http://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/dab-advice-needed-please.6047/

I think the best way to go is a 4g sim only deal on a mobile & use that as a hotspot. You can then stream any radio station or music/video that floats your boat. But I'm going to wait until my current phone contract finishes before I give it a try.

This is also @MrRob_in s preferred method. I'm sure he'll add a bit of info now he's been tagged :)

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Just got a new phone Seemed expensive but I’ve just upgraded all 3 of my vehicles av and nav systems 😉 keeping it simple pays off sometimes.

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Streaming music over cellular networks will eat into your data allowance (Google something like "how much data for streaming spotify") to get an ideal of this issue. It would seem that different streaming services (Spotify, Tidal, etc) stream at different rates and from the web abstract below, you can see that Tidal for instance, can be streamed at different rates to keep data consumption down.
How much data does an hour of Spotify use?

According to the Tidal website, listening at 'High' sets the quality at 320Kbps, the same as Spotify, so you'd be using approximately 1GB of data between 9 and 5. On Tidal, you can switch from High to Normal and listen at 96Kbps, consuming 720Kb of data per minute, 43.2MB per hour and 0.34GB over the course of a day.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Streaming music over cellular networks will eat into your data allowance (Google something like "how much data for streaming spotify") to get an ideal of this issue. It would seem that different streaming services (Spotify, Tidal, etc) stream at different rates and from the web abstract below, you can see that Tidal for instance, can be streamed at different rates to keep data consumption down.
There's a few that do unlimited data plans @Alan Morgan & allow it to be used for tethering. I'm thinking the wife & I can keep our phones without renewing the contracts when they expire - they will be under half price each month then because the phones will have been paid for. We can use the money saved & a bit extra to get a sim only for a spare phone I already have. Might come in handy for the kids if we ever get out camping too.

That's the plan at the moment anyway - but we'll see :)

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Sounds like a plan there @Phil - I really only posted the bit about data usage for those not in the know and who don't have an unlimited data allowance.

You also raise the useful point about tethering - not all network providers allow this - THREE don't (or didn't the last time I looked).

As for SIM only deals, I like them very much. I've never in 20+ years of mobile phone usage ever got a phone on contract, prefering instead to buy the phone and SIM separately. For the past 3 years I've bought my phones from the Far East through Ali Express or Gearbest - the Chinese phones are very competitively priced but of course without the cache of the iPhone or latest Samsung, but this thread isn't about phones, sorry:(

Using an older, no longer used smartphone with a SIM in it could be very useful for in-car music, and you can leave the phone in the car for just music streaming.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Sounds like a plan there @Phil - I really only posted the bit about data usage for those not in the know and who don't have an unlimited data allowance.

You also raise the useful point about tethering - not all network providers allow this - THREE don't (or didn't the last time I looked).

As for SIM only deals, I like them very much. I've never in 20+ years of mobile phone usage ever got a phone on contract, prefering instead to buy the phone and SIM separately. For the past 3 years I've bought my phones from the Far East through Ali Express or Gearbest - the Chinese phones are very competitively priced but of course without the cache of the iPhone or latest Samsung, but this thread isn't about phones, sorry:(

Using an older, no longer used smartphone with a SIM in it could be very useful for in-car music, and you can leave the phone in the car for just music streaming.
I did look at tablets which took a sim card too but they were expensive. I've been thinking about making a console between the front seats to house my tablet & bose speaker. I can then connect the tablet to the mobile phone hotspot for radio/music & sat nav. And I'd need to add an emergency disc to take the old tom tom in case I need to get it out of the glove box for emergencies.

It will be a bit of a challenge because my main aim is to keep the whole thing easily portable. I've got plenty of time to think about it while the phone contract's are running down :)

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
I’m on Three with unlimited data and 7gb tethering. I don’t tether other than to watch the odd Netflix which I believe isn’t counted in my allowance anyway. £20 pmc 300 mins on rolling monthly contract after 12 month sim only contract expired.