E51 Cruise control problem.

xl53c

E51 Owner
Hi, my cruise control has stopped working! It stays on for a couple of miles, then stops. It is showing an orange warning light, next to the green CC light on the dash. There is a warning on the 'sat nav/camera' screen, a triangle plus some Japanese writing! Also next to the gear indicator on the dash, the 'distance' markers are flashing, If I stop the car and restart I can use the CC again for a mile or two before it stops again. Any ideas? Maybe to do with the radar?

Barney59

E51 Owner
Knowledge about this is going to be thin on the ground as it is a rare option. Have you tried to translate the warning message?Similarly have you downloaded any error codes?

Good luck, sorry I can't help myself.

MintSauce

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I had the same problem while I was trying out all the gadgets on the drive back from the dealer after collecting.

A bit of googling found me an English translation of the user manual which had a troubleshooting guide for this error, and suggesting that the first step should be to try to clean the proximity sensor at the front of the car. The guide said this should be immediately to the left of the number plate behind the front bumper. However, on my mid 2002 E51 I found it to be a black plastic blob bottom centre on the engine grill. Mine looked clean, but a good rub with a soft sponge and some neutral detergent (and maybe some isopropyl alcohol too, can't remember) got it working again. I think whatever shampoo/wax the dealer had applied prior to sale interfered with the reception of the sensor, which from the description in the manual sounds like it is just an infrared beam rather than any fancy radar system.

If that doesn't work, the next troubleshooting step described was 'take it to the dealer'

It also said (as you found) that the only way to clear the error is to turn the car off then back on, you can't just turn the cruise control itself off and on.

Mike

xl53c

E51 Owner
I had the same problem while I was trying out all the gadgets on the drive back from the dealer after collecting.

A bit of googling found me an English translation of the user manual which had a troubleshooting guide for this error, and suggesting that the first step should be to try to clean the proximity sensor at the front of the car. The guide said this should be immediately to the left of the number plate behind the front bumper. However, on my mid 2002 E51 I found it to be a black plastic blob bottom centre on the engine grill. Mine looked clean, but a good rub with a soft sponge and some neutral detergent (and maybe some isopropyl alcohol too, can't remember) got it working again. I think whatever shampoo/wax the dealer had applied prior to sale interfered with the reception of the sensor, which from the description in the manual sounds like it is just an infrared beam rather than any fancy radar system.

If that doesn't work, the next troubleshooting step described was 'take it to the dealer'

It also said (as you found) that the only way to clear the error is to turn the car off then back on, you can't just turn the cruise control itself off and on.

Mike
Hi, thanks for the clear reply. I will try giving the sensor a clean. I did think it had something to do with it as the image of the car had disappeared.
It worked fine on the way to work, but stopped again on the way home after several miles.
We have had awful weather, so could be road grime or polish as you suggest.
Thanks again for the reply, I'll let you know how I get on.

xl53c

E51 Owner
I checked the manual, the cruise control won't work with the wipers on! Must be for safety reasons! So should be ok in the dry when it's not too sunny either!

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
I checked the manual, the cruise control won't work with the wipers on! Must be for safety reasons! So should be ok in the dry when it's not too sunny either!
Is that radar cruise or set speed or both. Seems a little too cautious.

xl53c

E51 Owner
Is that radar cruise or set speed or both. Seems a little too cautious.
I'm not sure of the difference as I set the speed and the radar is on as well. There are two ways of setting it according to the manual, but it wasn't too clear to me!!

Last edited by a moderator:

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
View attachment 509 @xl53c
SET button should set on constant speed (keep it pressed to coast / reduce set speed) little button with 'rays' & car on it sets radar cruise I'd guess

StewartG

Premium Member
The small button with the car & rays sets the distance from the vehicle in front.
Three blocks 150 metres, Two blocks 100 metres and One block 50 metres. I'm sure I read somewhere that was the distances but I might be wrong on exact measurements however, that's the principle of it.

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Maybe but way out with the distances! Should be 60m - 50m - 40m........
Well I'd have thought it would be a time gap, so distance varied with road speed. That's how I was taught to gauge safe follow distance. "Only a fool breaks the two second rule".

sauliusagintas

Premium Member
E51 Owner
First clean sensor on the front. Have you checked your tyres? I had 1 tyre wearing more than other and when my cruise was set after few miles it was off. Replaced tyres and tracking done no more problems. Next time was dirty radar on the front. Gave good clean and everything back to normal.

wchau

E51 Owner
hello everyone.. I had this exact problem and it was driving me crazy... cleaning the radar is not just using a spray soapy detergent to clean , this does not work or it didn't work for me .. it means you have to use 2500/3000 wet dry grit paper and make it a MIRROR squeaky clean ( similar to what you use when you remove the old yellow oxidated headlights ) I wish someone had told me this when I first had the problem, it would have saved me some hair loss. It has worked like magic since. Hope this helps all the new elgranders who have this problem.

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Lets not forget also guys these vehicles are only intended for JDM market/country so that could have have something to do with it also as all we get here is crappy weather all the time where as in Japan they usually get a lot better than we do.

My last car had the adaptive cc system which is great albeit it did drive me nuts so I just used my cc on normal mode after that which is why my new and soon to be fitted OEM cc kit for my E51 only has normal mode on it and no adaptive button thank god and no sensor to play me up.

Regards,

xl53c

E51 Owner
hello everyone.. I had this exact problem and it was driving me crazy... cleaning the radar is not just using a spray soapy detergent to clean , this does not work or it didn't work for me .. it means you have to use 2500/3000 wet dry grit paper and make it a MIRROR squeaky clean ( similar to what you use when you remove the old yellow oxidated headlights ) I wish someone had told me this when I first had the problem, it would have saved me some hair loss. It has worked like magic since. Hope this helps all the new elgranders who have this problem.
I'll have to give that a try, as it is still not working. I took it to the garage who did a diagnostic check which said the 'Window was not clean' (or similar). The bit you had to rub down, is that the flat rectangular bit in the centre of the grille? I think some have a small sensor in the bumper instead. I'll be buying wet n dry today!!