E51 Cruise Control, options?

George322

Premium Member
I finally got to grips with my cruise control (2003 NE51).
I was on my way across the A66 to Penrith today and set it at 56mph as I haven't converted to LPG yet and was watching the fuel gauge like a hawk.

I also set the other part of it so that it kept me a set distance behind the vehicle in front. It was weird when a lorry slowed down for a bend - and so did I - without touching any pedals! I pulled into the outside lane and off we went again....

George322

Premium Member
Yes - it is the factory option. I didn't know about it until I started reading the Owner's manual that the seller included. For a car that was produced in 2003 it is amazing! Before I decided on getting an Elgrand and converting it to a camper I was considering two other options: 1: a brand new VW Tiguan. It has lots of bells and whistles including park assist etc and 2: a Skoda Yeti that is the same drive train as the Tiguan but is a bit cheaper.

The only thing that the brand new 2016 cars have that the Elgrand does not have is the park assist - and I can do without that.

I managed to find a cracking 2003 car (48k miles) that had already been professionally converted to a two-berth camper with pop-top etc so all I have to do now is get it onto LPG and there will be no holding the wife and I back from touring the Highlands where our son lives.
Adventure before dementia!

Gramps

Love gadgets but can't remember how to use 'em
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Gooday Alan. Hope its not tooo late a responce to your post but the link I posted further up the page told you everything you needed to know but unfortunately the link is broken and I can't even get into the Nissan Elgrand club of Australia. so hope these will help, but physically check if you require the 2 pin or 4 pin brake harness, I didn't and took it for granted that as mine was a Series 1 and would be the 2 pin plug but I needed the 4 pin, caused me a bit more agrovation but I got it to work. Please read my other remarks on fitting etc further up the page.
Gramps

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
My Pivot 3-Drive Alpha arrived today from Japan. Cost £165 for the unit, brake and throttle harnesses, and another £49 for customs charges.

My 2003 Rider requires the 4-pin brake harness.

Looking forward to getting it installed now. @Gramps, I can see which wire in 'some' 4-pin connector near the steering wheel I need to tap into for the speed pulse, but can you tell me where you found yours? Thanks.

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thanks @Phil, I saw that but it looks like it connects to the canbus lines not the speed signal? The instructions tell me the plug I need is at location F, but F is the only one not shown on the diagram that I can see! Typical. I might have to find pin 6 on the Nav unit :(
I'll check it over again.

iainmd

E51 Owner
Is that the speed pulse cable? My Pioneer headunit/satnav occasionally grumbles that the speed pulse wire is not connected so it can't read speed in a tunnel or without a GPS signal.

MrChops

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Is that the speed pulse cable? My Pioneer headunit/satnav occasionally grumbles that the speed pulse wire is not connected so it can't read speed in a tunnel or without a GPS signal.
Yes that's the one, it was hiding right underneath the fusebox!

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
do you find that the standard CC max speed is 110 kph?
According to the bumpf here, the cruise control operates in the range 30-140Km/h (19-87mph).

For those wanting to investigate the Pivot range (there are three variations ranging in price (before import duty/VAT *) see their website here

Prices range from £140 (AC model), £173 (alpha model) and £213 (Remote model).

@MrChops paid £49 for the Alpha model (see post #25 above and his write-up here) - so you could be looking at something approaching £300 for top of the range Remote model versus about £500 for the Autostrada (with OEM like buttons on the steering wheel) from eBay Australia.
And finally, if going for the one of the Pivot '3-drive' range, as @Gramps has said, you need to work out if you need a BR-3 or BR-4 connector

Pivot-1.jpg pivot-2.jpg

Last edited:

iainmd

E51 Owner
Thank you, thank you, thank you @MrChops ! Finally, I have the speed pulse connected to my Pioneer head unit to provide speed when there's a blip in GPS signal. Whilst it didn't cause any bother in the UK I'll rely on it when abroad with the van as the head unit is my kph speedo and France is tunnel central. The wires on my S2 were a different colour but your image got me there by identifying the plug.