Crazily cheap Elgrands in Japan!

J.Low75

E50 Owner
How much are you talking on top of these prices for UK import/shipping/ UK registering etc etc, few grand I assume?

Seven

The Engineer
Staff member
E50 Owner
How much are you talking on top of these prices for UK import/shipping/ UK registering etc etc, few grand I assume?
You can expect to spend between £750 - £1500 to get a vehicle from Japan on to the UK roads on top of the price you paid to buy it initially.

teamcowie

Premium Member
E51 Owner
You can expect to spend between £750 - £1500 to get a vehicle from Japan on to the UK roads on top of the price you paid to buy it initially.
the shipping will cost about £925
then custom fees £50
terminal charge £75
add all that to the cost of motor

then add 10% tax then 20% vat

all adds up plus you have to pay the duty on the buyers fee too

Just so everyone knows if you buy a real cheap E50 elgrand for about 65,000/70,000 yen
with all the fees to get it to uk then price for fog light and mot your imported elgrand will cost you about £3500/£3700 on the road thats before you start fitting new tyres most come with perished tyres.

It does not pay to ship older cheaper motors as the buying fees and the shipping fee are the same price old or new
only the amount of duty is less with the motor costing less.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brendan1969

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Just so everyone knows if you buy a real cheap E50 elgrand for about 65,000/70,000 yen
with all the fees to get it to uk then price for fog light and mot your imported elgrand will cost you about £3500/£3700 on the road thats before you start fitting new tyres most come with perished tyres.

It does not pay to ship older cheaper motors as the buying fees and the shipping fee are the same price old or new
only the amount of duty is less with the motor costing less.
Agreed entirely.

If your on a budget then by all means import your own ( Buyer beware and all that ) albeit I would prefer to pay that bit more from a decent dealer ( Only a few I would strongly recommend ) and know your getting a good honest Elgrand. That's just my own view on the matter and each to their own at the end of the day.

I will stick my neck out though and say through my own experience that if you are on a strict budget then an Elgrand possibly is not the vehicle to buy as they are not exactly cheap to run or fix when they go wrong. I knew my new E51 was not going to be economical to run as I found out yesterday when I collected it. It took nearly £80 to fill it to the brim and that includes the 20 litres of free petrol the dealer put in it for me out of a full jerry can. I drove the 70 miles home at a steady 70-80 mph and this morning after washing it off at the jet wash I topped it back up to full and she took another £25 to brim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh the joys of E51 3500cc ownership eh. LOL

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
I drove the 70 miles home at a steady 70-80 mph and this morning after washing it off at the jet wash I topped it back up to full and she took another £25 to brim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh the joys of E51 3500cc ownership eh. LOL
Might be worth trying http://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/high-revs-on-idle.1957/ to reset things.

I mine was idling a little high but that’s not enough to explain the extra 10% mpg I’m getting since I reset mine (I think... well the trip computer now shows 7.9 km/l rather than 6.7 before reset. I’m not so bothered I actually keep track of if by fillup amounts... that’s too depressing) :)