Corrosion Areas

Drdax

E50 Owner
Lol the heat button lights up! Also I’ve changed the lamp on the odeometer, it had a blue cap on it that had perished so I couldn’t re use it. The lcd now lights up amber, should this not be green?

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
If you have 4wd, the all-mode selector switch top should light up.
Mine doesn't light up, and apparently its a really freaky odd bulb type :pensive:

Drdax

E50 Owner
I thought it should, I will have a look if I take the dash apart again. I also found the ones for the 4x4 in the dash. The rear wheel one had blown. Does anyone know where the original aerial should be, I have some naff aftermarket screen mount.

Drdax

E50 Owner
Well looks like I’ve managed to get my remote key programmed. Whilst replacing the dash bulbs I noticed that one of the cables for the key left in ignition warning had snapped. I repaired it and then realised this must be why I couldn’t program the key as it wasn’t seeing the key being put into the ignition. Gave it another try and bingo it all works!

Drdax

E50 Owner
Well I managed to find some time this afternoon to fit some spigot rings to the wheels. This gave me the chance to inspect all four corners. Not too bad really, a split gaitor in the steering rack drivers side and some welding required on the chassis behind the passenger rear wheel. God knows where it went for it’s last mot as it looks like it’s been like this for some time. The last few cars I’ve bought must have been to the same place lol

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Well I managed to find some time this afternoon to fit some spigot rings to the wheels. This gave me the chance to inspect all four corners. Not too bad really, a split gaitor in the steering rack drivers side and some welding required on the chassis behind the passenger rear wheel. God knows where it went for it’s last mot as it looks like it’s been like this for some time. The last few cars I’ve bought must have been to the same place lol
Not too bad then overall - I've just had to do both front wishbones/control arms and balljoints...

I think the MOT rule is for no serious corrosion within 30cm(?) of a suspension mounting point, or if it's so serious that it compromises the structure/poses a danger to pedestrians - So the lower rear corner on an E50 shouldn't fail it.

Drdax

E50 Owner
I suppose they could be more than the 30cm. The hole in the chassis is behind the wheel when it’s been removed. It looks easy enough access to be welded though.

Drdax

E50 Owner
Well my diagnostic lead came today and I’ve got it working. The only error codes stored were code 18 and 22 which seem fuel pump related. Looking at the code list there’s nothing for the 4x4 system. Can Consult read these?

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Well my diagnostic lead came today and I’ve got it working. The only error codes stored were code 18 and 22 which seem fuel pump related. Looking at the code list there’s nothing for the 4x4 system. Can Consult read these?
I get 18 and 22 every so often too - think it's just the pump having some wear, or muck in or on the control sleeve arm.

Don't know if the all-mode system will send faults to the ECU to read - Do you think there's an issue with yours?

Drdax

E50 Owner
I might just leave it and monitor it then,’see if they come back. I did notice on Sunday that it struggled going up a big hill near me and wondered if that’s was a symptom. I’m also getting it changing down a gear whenever it’s didn’t need to making the revs go high. Strange how no other faults are stored apart from 18 and 22.

The 4x4 light came on a couple of times when I drove it home after buying it. It’s not been on since though. I was hoping ecutalk wouldn’t read any codes, it reads the auto box.

Last edited:

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I might just leave it and monitor it then,’see if they come back. I did notice on Sunday that it struggled going up a big hill near me and wondered if that’s was a symptom. I’m also getting it changing down a gear whenever it’s didn’t need to making the revs go high. Strange how no other faults are stored apart from 18 and 22.

The 4x4 light came on a couple of times when I drove it home after buying it. It’s not been on since though. I was hoping ecutalk wouldn’t read any codes, it reads the auto box.
I think 18 and 22 can also show up as a symptom of other general things - If the bus is new to you, the struggle up hill could be a number of simple things like the fuel filter needing a change. Probably best to give it a proper full service (US style full service standard etc, not UK garage service standards...), then give it a full Italian tune up with some fuel system/injector cleaners in the tank. Once that's all gone through you can decide if there are any other bugs that need resolving.

Think the 4x4 bit was covered by the tyre thread, but I suppose you could also have some muck on the wheel speed sensors or a dodgy connection - I think @MrRob_in said that can make the system have a funny turn and throw itself out of line.

Drdax

E50 Owner
Will get a fuel filter ordered up, it’s just had an oil and filter change so at least that’s all good. Is the fuel filter easy to do? Also any ideas on it changing down a gear when it shouldn’t be?

I’m hoping it will drive a lot better with the new tyres and the spigot rings!

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Will get a fuel filter ordered up, it’s just had an oil and filter change so at least that’s all good. Is the fuel filter easy to do? Also any ideas on it changing down a gear when it shouldn’t be?

I’m hoping it will drive a lot better with the new tyres and the spigot rings!
Fuel filter is easy to do, but a bit messy, get the Bosch or Mann one though as mine had a crossland one on there when I got her, and it needed an oil filter removal tool to get off :mad: Can't remember what one I got from ECP but it had a nice moulding on the bottom for stilsons/pump pliers when I need to change it again (soon).

It really is hard to say on the kickdown cause - if all else is ok normally kickdown just happens when the engine's struggling so best to assess after the full service/bit of use.

Mine also had 110 centre bore wheels with no rings when I got her...you could see the gap without needing to look for it

Drdax

E50 Owner
Great let’s hope the service sorts it. I’m glad I checked for spigot rings as like you say the gap was massive!

At least it seems like I’m getting to the bottom of all the problems. I think he steering rack is going to need replacing or a rufurb as the gaitors are shot.

Drdax

E50 Owner
Well looks like my fuel filter eas done by the previous owner. Just found a receipt for it along with an air filter. Just checked underneath and it’s looks new. Where does the air cleaner box take it feed from as the canister is just open into the engine bay. Is this right?