Corrosion Areas

Drdax

E50 Owner
Hi all,

Looks like I’m off to look at an E50 tomorrow. What are the usual corrosion areas to check? The MOT history is pretty good on it and it’s been owned by the same person since it was imported. Has a couple of battle scars which I don’t mind.

Cheers

Harvo

Here for life
E50 Owner
I would say look everywhere. There's little to no protection on these vehicles before they come here so unless it was undersealed from coming off the boat be wary and have a good poke about. Take a torch with you too.

Jasper

E50 Owner
Have a good poke around the sills. Otherwise the tailgates rust out along the bottom and around the number plate, and you might find some rust on the arches.

Last edited:

Harvo

Here for life
E50 Owner
Brill thanks! Also do they have a cam chain or belt?
Depends which one you're looking at.
The 3.2 diesel has neither (cog driven system) pretty sure the 3.3 petrol is a belt. Its a chain on the 3.5 petrol and the 3.0 neo diesel.

Ben E50

E50 Owner
Check for rust on the inner and outer sills. And at the rear of the bus behind the rear wheels underneath.
If it knocks and bangs on road test don’t be too alarmed. Heavy vehicle and always need suspension replacement parts.
As long as it’s got everything you are looking for. Go for it.
Buy buy buy..

Drdax

E50 Owner
It’s not a bad spec as it has the twin sunroofs. I would have liked the electric side door and curtains but I have heard the curtains are a bit fragile. Looking forward to seeing it now!

Ben E50

E50 Owner
I got mine a week ago. Love it.
3.2 electric everything. Was worried and first but it’s all fallen together. I’ve done loads of work on it this week. Changed loads of stuff.
If you get stuck give me a shout more than happy to help.

Drdax

E50 Owner
Well ended up going to see a different E50 as I preferred the spec. Not sure I didn’t the right thing though as I had some issues driving home! I think the thermostat is buggered and the auto box seemed do to have mind of it’s not own at times. But the worst thing was after a bit of higher speed driving (not done in the rest drive) the 4WD light is flashing, any ideas or have I bought a pup!

Ben E50

E50 Owner
Sounds like thermostat, cheap easy replacement, less than £10 from Euro Car Parts. Change the thermostat and see how it goes.
Are you able to scan for fault codes regarding the 4WD?

Drdax

E50 Owner
Yep will get one ordered up, are they easy to acces to fit?

When tool do you need to scan? I have an OBDII Bluetooth dongle (although I think this only works on android stuff which I don’t have).

Ben E50

E50 Owner
The thermostat is easy to change, 3 bolts, at the front of the engine. You can’t go wrong.
The e50 has a 14 pin diagnostic plug. You need an adaptor.
Get a scan done and go from there.
Don’t stress. These e50 buses are simple technology. Just difficult in finding information.
I got mine a week ago and thought it was a peace of shit once I got it home. Now I love it.

Drdax

E50 Owner
Lol exactly how I’m thinking at the mo! You always think you’ve bought the wrong one but I bet all of them have there faults. I liked this one as it had the half leather type seats, twin roofs, electric curtains and electric side door.
The owner had just fitted a double din touch screen and rear screen.