Confession

John sim

E51 Owner
Hi guys

So i picked up my elgrand the other day and drove it 400 miles home.

At about 50 miles i pulled over to fill her up and shortly afterwards i noticed a warning light on the dash. I pulled over at a service station and after checking the car over i couldn't figure out what was wrong. So i googled it and i stupidly believed the first result i got. (Low tyre pressure) checked the tyres and al fine so assumed possible slow puncture and drove on.

So i wasnt till i arrived home and started parking her up i found out what the warning light was! Handbrake....

Ok how could i be so dumb? The trouble is ive never driven an automatic before and have only ever driven one car.. Just passed my test 3 months ago..

I realise now that when i depressed the handbrake at the petrol station and it came back towards me i assumed it had released. I didnt realise you have to depress it the full travel then it releases

So yes i have driven 350 miles with the bloody handbrake on. How stupid do i feel right now?

So ive checked on a hill and im sure ive caused damage. The handbrake doesn't seem to hold it im sure its only putting it in parking that does it.

I have a e51 3rd series rear disk brakes.. Should i now replace the pads? Anything else i may have damaged?

Any help would be great. John

Baz L

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi and welcome to the club....
Not sure about the S3 but mines an S1 and the handbrake (foot) works on shoes which are inside the rear discs.
My handbrake isn't the best either but has just passed its MOT, whether because it's an auto and had Park as well I'm not sure,
When you first pulled up did you smell burning/ smoke at all? I would say your ok... done many times on my work trailer( red hot / smoking) and it still works

nobby62

E51 Owner
So was the brake hot and smokey when you finally pulled up? Your description of the brake operation is a bit vague, you dont have to press it all the way down to release and if the pedal comes back it should have been released. Doesn’t the warning light have a big P on it, I’m sure it does on mine... The handbrake will hardly hold the car on an incline anyway, you need to use the transmission lock (p position)

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Same brake warning light on dash also indicates low brake fluid. Not sure how it could ever be confused with a low tyre pressure warning so perhaps you are still confused about what’s wrong.

I’d go to a garage I trust and get the brakes checked over anyway.

John sim

E51 Owner
Same brake warning light on dash also indicates low brake fluid. Not sure how it could ever be confused with a low tyre pressure warning so perhaps you are still confused about what’s wrong.

I’d go to a garage I trust and get the brakes checked over anyway.

On mine its an exclamation mark like this ! But red. And it was definitely that because as soon as i did release the handbrake it went off.

Cant believe ive done this to my new car. Feel like a total idiot.

Im not bad with mechanical stuff ive taken apart gear boxes before and other parts of engines repaired them and put them back so hopefully i can fined a video or parts diagram online.

It wasnt smoking when i arrived but its possible it was part of the way. A couple of times when i put the foot down i did get a wiff of burning but didnt think much about it at the time.

I hope ive not done any permanent damage to anything

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Thanks robin! anyone got a recommendation on what shoes to order and where from ? Hopefully ive not knackered the disks
I’d get some good secondhand ones from @stevemen ... it’s not like they are a wear item .... usually! :p

Rear disc is Murano so any motor factor or parts supplier should have them in at reasonable cost.

nobby62

E51 Owner
Fiirst off dont panic. Check the brake fluid level, is it ok? Top up if not. Check the brakes when stood still engine running, are they spongy or are they ok? If ok go for a gentle test ride, do the brakes work? Does it vibrate, wobble, pull to one side. Or are the brakes ok. Dont go diving in changing parts until you know there is a fault. If you’re not confident and it sounds like you’re not, take it to a good garage and ask them to test the brakes for you....

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I’d get some good secondhand ones from @stevemen ... it’s not like they are a wear item .... usually! :p

Rear disc is Murano so any motor factor or parts supplier should have them in at reasonable cost.
Its no big deal mate and easily sorted. We have plenty of elgrand parts whatever you issues may be.
Steve
Tojomotorsuk
Elgrandcarparts.co.uk

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
And don't be too hard on yourself @John sim . I bet you're not the only one who's forgotten to release the parking brake on a car you're not used too. Hope you get it sorted & as @nobby62 says above - don't panic - go through the checks he mentions above before you do anything else :)

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I don't know if this will cheer you up, but you mentioning it is the first time you've driven an automatic reminded me of a little story.

Back in the day, when I was young, handsome, slim & had hair only rich people drove automatics. The boss at work had one & he used to park it in the multi-storey car park. At the end of the day he used to send one of us lads to get the car round for him (lazy tw*t). One lad was asked by the boss & he came into the warehouse panicking because he'd never driven an auto before. My mate told him how easy it was "you need to have your foot on the brake to move the gear lever - just stick it in R FOR READY & away you go" :eek::joy:

The language when he came back! It could have been very messy :grinning:

Last edited:

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
My dad once did 1k miles it a hired BMW 325i on a holiday one year. He hated the car because it smelled of burning and didn’t have the performance he expected.

He discovered the handbrake was still on at the airport when the guy shuttling him from rental office to the terminal let it off.

He’d been driving automatic xj6 for 10 years by then so he ought to have known better. Probably why he just ignored the warning light though.

Chasdad

Premium Member
fair play to you. driving one of these after only passing your test 3 months ago.
I've got an old e50 i used for work and a lovely e50 rider that i won't let my wife use.
she took my daughter back to uni in the workhorse this week and drove 2 hrs with overdrive on. she's been driving 30 years