E51 Clearing the Head

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
There is a tremendous amount of useful information in this forum w.r.t. connecting up a new head.
I have purchased a Blaupunkt Kimberly 941 and am intending to try to install is in my E51 (emphasis on the word “try”). As far as I can see the Nissan adaptor takes care of all the speaker connections, a 12v constant, a 12v switched, power for the antenna (not sure how this gets through to the antenna via the new head unit), chassis ground, amplifier remote (no amplifier so assume this is not used) and a wire from dash illumination which I assume lights up the head unit at night time. In addition there are two loose wires coming from the plugs at the car end of the adaptor, black with a white stripe and orange with a black stripe. If anyone know what these are for please let me know, otherwise I will just tape them up.

The other end of the Nissan ISO adaptor looks like this:

The new head connector for the speakers is identical to that coming from the adaptor (whoohoo!).

The other new head connector that takes miscellaneous inputs from the adaptor, is not identical to the wires coming from the adaptor:
Head Adaptor
Yellow 12V +ve constant Red switched ignition
Black chassis ground Black chassis ground + extra cable to chassis
Orange dash illumination Orange dash illumination
Red switched ignition Yellow 12V +ve constant
Blue+Blue/White stripe Antenna power/Amp
The adaptor therefore has two extra inputs and the 12V constant and 12V switched may need changing over (depending on how the wires come from the car to the adaptor).
So far so good!

Finally – the rest:

These are other connectors provided by Blaupunkt for their head unit.
As far as I am concerned, the only relevant connection for the first connector is the brake connection, which I believe is a simple earth connection that should go via the parking brake to earth. I suppose this would cut out DVD’s on the head display while the car is moving, but not Sat Nav.
The second connector has the wiring for the steering wheel controls. It also has 3 AV phono input connections, but only the inner lead from each phono is wired into the connector!
The third connector has Video out phono connections, inner and outer. A number of speaker wire connections (all phono inner only) and a sub woofer phono inner and outer connection that could be useful at some time in the future.

The two outstanding questions in my mind are:

Why do I need to run audio connections to the rear of the car to plug in the head unit to the cars original system? I am not sure that my head unit has audio out for this anyway. If a DVD is playing surely the sound will go directly from the head unit to the speakers.
Are the original screens still controlled by a connection from the parking brake (among others), when the input is via the rear AV sockets.
I appreciate that these topics have been covered before, but I really can’t get my head (no pun intended) around the way the parking brake affects the screens. I understand that there is a fairly expensive adaptor that will fool the original system into thinking that the parking brake is on and the vehicle is not moving, but is this really necessary.
Any advice appreciate, otherwise I will suck it and see.

Attachments

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I think this recent thread covers the screens and getting video to them http://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/satnav-output-to-main-screen.5269/
Thanks for the reference to that thread. I had seen it, but was was still not clear at the end of it exactly how the system works and if I need this Beat Sonic device or not. There seem to be two separate ways in which the parking brake can affect the video output of a head unit. One is the head unit itself which has a wire for a brake connection (I think, but would like it confirmed, that this is just a simple ground connection which could be made via an additional switch located in some convenient position). The other is the way in which it, along with other parameters, covered by the Beat Sonic device, affects the original Nissan Screens. I, like most people with these lovely vehicles, would like to be able play DVD's for the passengers in the rear while on the move. The passengers in question being my grandchildren, a most difficult audience to please.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Oe system has lots of interconnected modules that communicate with each other. For them to continue to work your headunit must mimic the oe headunit so Beat Sonic adapter does that. A handbrake override module may be within them or a separate unit but it’s more complicated than just a single signal wire because it alters how the nav element of oe system appears.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Oe system has lots of interconnected modules that communicate with each other. For them to continue to work your headunit must mimic the oe headunit so Beat Sonic adapter does that. A handbrake override module may be within them or a separate unit but it’s more complicated than just a single signal wire because it alters how the nav element of oe system appears.
I thought that taking an output video signal from the head unit to the rear AV sockets was enough to put a picture on the original screens. With this type of input does the handbrake etc still cut out the display on the original screens while the vehicle is moving?

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Yes.
Unless harness adapter includes one. (Someone did find a hack to override it but I’m not sure if it works properly for all ... details somewhere on here)

Only front screen disabled (nav takes precedence).

Audo and Video follow separate paths and are switched from different models (or more than one) Audo includes phone and nav voice interface

Shaugi

Premium Member
E51 Owner
If the new headunit has a parking brake wire it should be easy enough to bypass.

The oe dvd unit links straight to the or sound system and the rear connections in the can are for external input...a new headunit is external input as it's not running through the oe dvd.

At least that's how I understand it to work.

Shaugi

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Baically yes.

My h/u has an extra earth wire from the nissan loom to make it work. That attaches to a screw near the unit. The parking brake wire definitely doesn't hook onto the same screw so I definitely can't have anything on screen while I drive ;)

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
My new UK head unit I had fitted by my supplier works on all 3 screens ( DVD ) and I have noticed there is a din lead plugged in to the drivers side rear socket adjacent to the middle seat row/rear set row and I did have mine over riden too.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Apologies @Shaugi for being a bit thick about this but - on one hand you say that the H/U can bypass the parking brake cut out by earthing the brake wire from the head unit (or at least I did and you agreed), but on the other hand you say that the parking brake wire (I assume from the H/U) doesn't hook onto the same screw as the earth wire. Confused I am. :confused: