E51 Cable to connect double Din to factory BOSE speakers?

Dai & Sally

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi. I stalled double din but no sound coming out of factor Bose speakers. Can anyone advise what cable I need to solve this? Thanks all.

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
The bose system uses an amplifier which goes between the head unit and the speakers. You need to find and disconnect this, then run the speaker cables directly to the new head unit. Or, you could try to use the bose amp with your new setup. Different elgrands have different amp locations, mine is inder the drivers seat.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
All you need to do is find the switched live feed to the amplifier from the radio. It will be on one of the plugs you have not re-connected (or it'll be in a plug you've connected where there is no cable the other side).

Once you find this, you need to provide it with a switched live feed. There is usually a dedicated one from aftermarket radios, and it is usually (if not always) blue.

Connect that up, then the amp will power up when the radio is on. This will allow the amplifier to turn on, and boom boom boom.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
If it were me, AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS AS THIS IS THE BODGE ARTIST METHOD, I would put a live feed to any redundant wires until it turns on. But... you could seriously fuck something up by doing this. fire hazard galore!

But, it's what I would do. I like to live life on the edge :joy:

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Trouble is if you put high level speaker outputs from a head unit into low level line inputs on the Bose amp, you will overdrive the amp and much distortion will be forthcoming from the speakers. Not a good idea. You should feed the Bose amp with low level signals from the head unit line RCA outputs if it has them.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Trouble is if you put high level speaker outputs from a head unit into low level line inputs on the Bose amp, you will overdrive the amp and much distortion will be forthcoming from the speakers. Not a good idea. You should feed the Bose amp with low level signals from the head unit line RCA outputs if it has them.

The system will be set up for the audio signal to go via the amp. The only problem is that the amp no longer knows how to turn on.

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
If its a series 3 with amp under the drivers seat, i have the pin information of the large multiplug. It has amplifier outputs and 12v supply on it. The other one has the amp inputs, but i didnt get around to identifying the pins that on that one. The amp is a Bose 28060 WB30A.

IMG_1152.JPG

Last edited:

Dai & Sally

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Thanks all. There’s a mechanic E51 owner 3 doors down. I shall ask him nicely and pass him some dosh to read the instructions above and get it sorted. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Dai & Sally

Premium Member
E51 Owner
If it were me, AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS AS THIS IS THE BODGE ARTIST METHOD, I would put a live feed to any redundant wires until it turns on. But... you could seriously fuck something up by doing this. fire hazard galore!

But, it's what I would do. I like to live life on the edge :joy:
This, I’ve heard. 🤣🤣🤣