Border Force Seizure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave M

Premium Member
I bought some parts for my Nissan Stagea M35, from Aus the price was reasonable, my problem came that no import tax had been paid on them, so had to add another £157.99 on top for tax. The next time I wanted parts ordered from USA as engine same as G35 super charger and other superfluous parts into this country no messing no tax no picking up the parts from UKBF.
I wish I had been given the chance to pay any outstanding duty payable but they are not giving me that option.

Dave M

Premium Member
If you paid by PayPal (not PayPal gift) then honestly I'd be putting a claim in for item not received if I was you. Terry doesn't seem to keen to sort anything out for you to be honest.
Yea paid by PayPal and as its my wife's account she has started the ball rolling. To be honest I Want the items and if I could be allowed to pay the duty due I would pay it but that doesn't seem to be an option. Terry doesn't seem to understand this as he says it's not happened before.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I bought some parts for my Nissan Stagea M35, from Aus the price was reasonable, my problem came that no import tax had been paid on them, so had to add another £157.99 on top for tax. The next time I wanted parts ordered from USA as engine same as G35 super charger and other superfluous parts into this country no messing no tax no picking up the parts from UKBF.
I used to use Rock Auto's in the USA for all my Chevy Astro parts and ALWAYS paid the little bit extra at checkout for premium post. Everything I ever ordered from them arrived with in 3 days ( 3 days from USA to UK ) and never had any import or extra duty issues.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yea paid by PayPal and as its my wife's account she has started the ball rolling. To be honest I Want the items and if I could be allowed to pay the duty due I would pay it but that doesn't seem to be an option. Terry doesn't seem to understand this as he says it's not happened before.
At least you have some saving grace then as you can blame the wife seeing as its her account:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Madfish

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Just used Rockauto for my new coilpacks... Excellent service, also paid the extra for speedy delivery (FedEx)

Ordered Monday night and they arrived Wednesday.

There was a mention on the order that all fees had been included within the price including UK vat etc

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Just used Rockauto for my new coilpacks... Excellent service, also paid the extra for speedy delivery (FedEx)

Ordered Monday night and they arrived Wednesday.

There was a mention on the order that all fees had been included within the price including UK vat etc
They are bloody brilliant arnt they matey. Its good too as they offer you both OEM and patern parts as an option. Shame they don't do Nissan parts.

Madfish

Administrator
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Yeah, would have loved OEM coilpacks but couldn't find any here and importing from Nissan Japan was going to be a very expensive order.

Apparantly the ones I have ordered are OEM quality and certainly look identical.

Dave M

Premium Member
Well I'm bloody annoyed now, UK border force won't answer their phone and their response time on responding to e-mails is 20 days but according to their response they are so busy it may be longer !!!
I need to escalate my claim with Pay Pal before the 28th of Feb so that's the way I'm going to have to go which unfortunately Terry appears to be disputing as he's saying he's sent the goods.

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Well I'm bloody annoyed now, UK border force won't answer their phone and their response time on responding to e-mails is 20 days but according to their response they are so busy it may be longer !!!
I need to escalate my claim with Pay Pal before the 28th of Feb so that's the way I'm going to have to go which unfortunately Terry appears to be disputing as he's saying he's sent the goods.
He can dispute it all he wants, won't make any difference without proof you have received the items.

Dave M

Premium Member
I think PayPal will go in your favour here, as stated previously they normally favour the buyer.

Can't believe the hassle you're having with UK border force...
I hope your right re Pay Pal although I do feel for Terry as he's posted the goods out and doesn't seem aware that he's doing anything wrong and it appears most people have received their goods hassle free. Maybe the reason Border Force are so busy is due to them cracking down on sellers like Terry.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Just state your case clearly and in detail to paypal buddy and finger crossed they will award in your favour and then this Terry guy can go and do one.

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Dont panic yet ! My wife's son from previous marriage moved from Australia to England a couple of years ago. He wanted us to send his favorite cricket bat, which we posted to him. He got a letter very much like yours, threatening him with all kinds of shit. When he contacted them all they wanted was to charge customs duty and VAT, once he explianed that the cricket bat was already his and just being sent by his mother it all went away. I am sure if you can show them the invoice from Terry they will just work out the duty and VAT you owe, and then all should be well.

When i buy stuff from UK, there is a $1000 limit coming into Australia, under which no duty is payable. I dont think you have that in UK, which may be unknown to Terry. He may have declaired the value on the paperwork not realising it would attract customs duty. Duty and VAT/GST is payable at the recieving end, not the sending end.

Last edited:

Dave M

Premium Member
If you get blinded by Border Force, rattle their cage a bit by presenting your case to your local MP. It can be surprising what happens when the pollies get involved.
Had the same thought myself this morning. It's really surprised be how poor the communication path is with Border Force. When I registered, taxed and then fitted a number plate on my Elgrand everything went smooth and the tax office were very responsive and easily contactable yet another Goverment department is the exact opposite. The tone of their letter has made me feel like a criminal and getting in touch with them is an absolute nightmare, 20+ days to just reply to an e-mail is ridiculous, if I did that in my job nothing would get done so it is maybe time to rattle my local MPs cage.

Dave M

Premium Member
Sure your all getting fed up with this saga by now but Terry has now messaged me saying he understands why I've contacted Pay Pal and is willing to help any way he can.
My advice following my experience is if you buy from anyone like Terry, make sure all import duties are included otherwise you could end up in the same boat as me.
At the end of the day the parts we need tend not to be available in the UK so I'm sure most accept that items coming from outside the UK will be expensive if shipping and duty payable are paid correctly. I still think £188 for a centre console falls into that category and I assumed all duties had been included in that price.

Dave M

Premium Member
Dont panic yet ! My wife's son from previous marriage moved from Australia to England a couple of years ago. He wanted us to send his favorite cricket bat, which we posted to him. He got a letter very much like yours, threatening him with all kinds of shit. When he contacted them all they wanted was to charge customs duty and VAT, once he explianed that the cricket bat was already his and just being sent by his mother it all went away. I am sure if you can show them the invoice from Terry they will just work out the duty and VAT you owe, and then all should be well.

When i buy stuff from UK, there is a $1000 limit coming into Australia, under which no duty is payable. I dont think you have that in UK, which may be unknown to Terry. He may have declaired the value on the paperwork not realising it would attract customs duty. Duty and VAT/GST is payable at the recieving end, not the sending end.
Thanks for that info Spuddyo, at least that gives me a glimmer of hope I still want the console and will pay the duty if they give me the chance.

freshandminty

Karaoke King
E51 Owner
Sorry to hear of your woes but unless I’m mistaken it’s not possible for a company to pre-pay import duties from the country of origin.

The only avoidance is if they’re labelled as goods that aren’t taxable on the customs form which I assume is the case in this instance - it would be interesting to see what was on the customs labels for parcels that people have received successfully from Terry.

Normal process is for the goods to arrive in the country and parcelforce Coventry if they’ve come via air or the allocated agent if they’ve come via ship to contact you regarding duties owed and additional handling / shipping costs within U.K.

I know two wrongs don’t make a right but it sounds like one Wong doesn’t either.

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
If you get blinded by Border Force, rattle their cage a bit by presenting your case to your local MP. It can be surprising what happens when the pollies get involved.
Yeah the bill will double as the MP will want to claim back his expenses for their time.

Status
Not open for further replies.