Border Force Seizure

Dave M

Premium Member
Ordered some items from Terry in Australia and the items have been seized by the Border Force Post Detection Team. I've received a letter from them stating that to get the items released will mean attending magistrates court with costs up to £1500 being charged. Anyone on here had a similar experience buying stuff via Terry.

Dave M

Premium Member
I ordered a centre console and chrome door handle covers. Terry's adds state postage included with nothing else to pay so I don't know why the items have been seized.. Daft thing is the letter I've got does not even state what has been seized or who it's from and their phone line is only manned between 10:30 and 14:00 so can't ring them until tomorrow. I have to assume it's the items fro Terry as I haven't ordered anything from anywhere else.

Dave M

Premium Member
My wife who studied to be a lawyer is baffled why the items have been seized, was there anything inside the console!
Hi Richard
The problem is the letter does not tell me what's been seized or who it's from. I am presuming it's the console and chrome covers because they are the only things I've ordered from abroad. I will ring them tomorrow when their phone line is open between 10:30 and 14:00 which is a joke in its self. I've messaged Terry to see what his take on the situation is, I paid via Pay Pal but I doubt they will cover it as the items has been seized by a uk government agency. The worst of it is they have stated in the letter that if I "offend" again I could face a hefty fine or imprisonment and I don't see where I've done anything wrong. They also state that they can dispose of the seized item at any time they wish so the goods may not be available to me even if I pay any duties outstanding. Obviously this is going to make me think twice about importing any other parts for my Elgrands.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I ordered a centre console and chrome door handle covers. Terry's adds state postage included with nothing else to pay so I don't know why the items have been seized.. Daft thing is the letter I've got does not even state what has been seized or who it's from and their phone line is only manned between 10:30 and 14:00 so can't ring them until tomorrow. I have to assume it's the items fro Terry as I haven't ordered anything from anywhere else.
What ever you do DONT ring it as it could, be a scam. Write back to them and tell them to return to sender and then get him to refund you. Did you buy via ebay or paypal by chance as you could have protection??

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi Richard
The problem is the letter does not tell me what's been seized or who it's from. I am presuming it's the console and chrome covers because they are the only things I've ordered from abroad. I will ring them tomorrow when their phone line is open between 10:30 and 14:00 which is a joke in its self. I've messaged Terry to see what his take on the situation is, I paid via Pay Pal but I doubt they will cover it as the items has been seized by a uk government agency. The worst of it is they have stated in the letter that if I "offend" again I could face a hefty fine or imprisonment and I don't see where I've done anything wrong. They also state that they can dispose of the seized item at any time they wish so the goods may not be available to me even if I pay any duties outstanding. Obviously this is going to make me think twice about importing any other parts for my Elgrands.
Maybe " our Terry " has been doing a cheeky side line in other goods and sent you the wrong parcel.

Dave M

Premium Member
What ever you do DONT ring it as it could, be a scam. Write back to them and tell them to return to sender and then get him to refund you. Did you buy via ebay or paypal by chance as you could have protection??
Don't think it's a scam Brendan as the paper work tallies up with what's on the UK Gov website and the phone number is a normal phone number but who knows these days.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Terry Wong sells parts for Elgrands from Australia.

The only thing I can think is that the value declared for the items sent is negligible, or put down as "gift" which would pass through customs without an import tax charge.

If this is the case, its the sender, not the receiver who is at fault. So I do not understand why you are the one being punished.

Dave M

Premium Member

The only thing I can think is that the value declared for the items sent is negligible, or put down as "gift" which would pass through customs without an import tax charge.

If this is the case, its the sender, not the receiver who is at fault. So I do not understand why you are the one being punished.
Tell me about it Karl, I'm £250 ish down on the deal if all the items I bought were in one package with little hope of retrieving the goods. I've messaged Terry so I will see what his views are, I presume the sender will have been notified about the seizure but who knows. I must admit I was starting to wonder what had happened to the goods I ordered, now I know😥

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner

Nope, declaration is made on receiver’s behalf as our Government has no power to raise or recover tax probably due from foreign business or individuals.

It’s the risk you may or may not know you are taking by not fully understanding the import tax system.

Good luck to the op and Terry sorting it out but tax evasion it something that has always been dealt with strongly.

Hope I’m wrong.