E50 Bad Radio, is it the cheap unit?

Charlie

E50 Owner
My E50 came with a non decript double din fitted, all works well CD, DVD ,bluetooth etc. The previous owner had fitted a rubber aerial by the drivers mirror which doesn't work well. I've put a small 12v booster on, no improvement , then fitted it to the original aerial connector , still no good , then bought a Halfords telescopic aerial, still rubbish . Is it most likely the radio in the unit is just useless or should I persevere , I don't want to throw good money after bad on a cheap system..the radio is the main thing I want so could replace it with another cheap one that works?

Charlie

E50 Owner
Not got one to hand, will do some looking, it just seemed odd to me as every bashed up old radio in every car with a coathanger always worked in the old days, I don't need to watch DVDs or connect to my toaster at home, just have the radio on lol

Charlie

E50 Owner
Yep, that's what I want to avoid , spending money on something that doesn't fix it. I think like Madfish said I'll try another radio in and if it works it's a duff unit.

Just a thought - have you got a cheap usb socket/charger plugged into a power outlet anywhere? In all 3 of my vehicles the radio reception is shite when a charger is plugged in, but fine when I unplug it! Better (more expensive) adapters seem ok, just the cheap ones that cause this.

Worth checking.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Just a thought - have you got a cheap usb socket/charger plugged into a power outlet anywhere? In all 3 of my vehicles the radio reception is shite when a charger is plugged in, but fine when I unplug it! Better (more expensive) adapters seem ok, just the cheap ones that cause this.

Worth checking.
Good call. I have noticed that certain adaptors have given interference through the speakers as well in the past.