• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Australia - East Coast

Hi Ben,
I know that feeling, I've struggled to understand why mechanics can't figure it out but after doing my head in on here reading the E50 section and following external links I understand the error lights and codes a bit better. Basically the early E50 with 14 pin plug aren't compatible in any way with OBD. 14 pin plugs are JOBD ,, Japanese on board diagnostics . Mechanics don't use or have the consult protocol the 14 pin imports need. ( if I've said that wrong for anyone reading this please correct me, I've just educated myself yesterday) .
I was going to go down the path of trying to buy everything I need to read and fix via scanning but in all honesty I'm too old for that shit, I'd rather dig a hole with in clay with a spoon, so I put my efforts into trying to find a mechanic who does have the skills and tools to read the old E50, and I managed to do exactly that. I found him through remembering that the van is an import, (duh,) and I was unbelievably lucky that the place that imported my van is in Tamworth, only a cpl hours from me. I rang and the mechanuc, Dion, has the scanner I need and can fix the van. I'm happy I don't have to try to figure out how to do parameters and values and codes and blah blah. I was going to suffer big time trying to learn all that. I always fix my own everything, but I've never had to work on anything with a computer, and now I'm happy to say I won't have to.
I'm not sure where you are but the business is called Tamworth mods and imports. They do certification and engineering on hotrod and bikes too, even better cause I'll get to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I've been heaps stressed so I know how u feel with your van.
Sounds pretty lucky to have found what you need in Tamworth of all places! I grew up in Gunnedah, but I live in Victoria now, so no good to me unfortunately. I'm not worried about it, though. As I say, it's been that way for years, so it mustn't be anything serious.
I do feel lucky to have it imported in Tamworth for sure, but your lucky your light hasn't had any bad consequences, my ABS light on and brakes failed so I definitely wasn't lucky there.
I often wish I could have a chill attitude like yours, life would be a lot less stressful 😁😎

Sounds pretty lucky to have found what you need in Tamworth of all places! I grew up in Gunnedah, but I live in Victoria now, so no good to me unfortunately. I'm not worried about it, though. As I say, it's been that way for years, so it mustn't be anything serious.
The gunnedah weeks of speed festival starts March 2nd.

Funny you should ask, I went to my first meet up today down the Gold Coast. If it's allowed I'll post details of the bbq and family meet next month.
Very keen to attend next meet up on gold Coast?

Wow plenty of Aussie owners I see. I'm in Bundy and see a lot of them on our streets too. Does anyone know the story with importing newer models to Aus?
I just got an off hand comment that they aren't importing them anymore. I'll find out more today when I go pick up my Elgrando

I just got an off hand comment that they aren't importing them anymore. I'll find out more today when I go pick up my Elgrando
Apparently the import tax is too high now. I just bought a 2011 E52 for about $20k and they said they'd need to sell them for $27k if to get the same return, so they aren't bothering anymore

Back