E51 Anyone fitted a FM band expander and do they work?

Deand

E51 Owner
Don’t really want to replace the factory fit ICE in my E51 but would like the radio to work! Has anyone fitted a FM band expander and does it work Ok ? If so any links to purchase or brand detail would be appreciated
Thank Dean

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
When I got my S3 it had a band expander already fitted, its an 18 MHz shifter, so I just deduct 18 from the station I want. 104.5 becomes 86.5. It works really well.

Phil

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Found out mine had one fitted when I lifted the HU out but none of it works anyway so I've given up on it

Tim C

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I would like an expander for the original head unit in my 2005 S2 HWS as well. My whole unit is pretty useless at the moment!! My CD player doesnt accept disks (they won't go in!!) and recently borrowed a pile of minidiscs, each of which stated 'MD error' when loaded! I don't think it was the discs as the guy I borrowed them from said they worked in his player. I have tried to get some local places to put an aftermarket system in but they either wouldn't do it or I didn't trust them enough! Does anyone know how much a replacement standard unit (with working CD/MD!) might cost from someone who is removing theirs? Picture of my crap system attached! IMG_20171027_221032.jpg

Shaugi

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I would like an expander for the original head unit in my 2005 S2 HWS as well. My whole unit is pretty useless at the moment!! My CD player doesnt accept disks (they won't go in!!) and recently borrowed a pile of minidiscs, each of which stated 'MD error' when loaded! I don't think it was the discs as the guy I borrowed them from said they worked in his player. I have tried to get some local places to put an aftermarket system in but they either wouldn't do it or I didn't trust them enough! Does anyone know how much a replacement standard unit (with working CD/MD!) might cost from someone who is removing theirs? Picture of my crap system attached! View attachment 2263
You might find you can get one cheaply. But I doubt many check the functionality.
Other option is a fascia adapter and a double din unit.

Reuben

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Had one fitted on my camper conversion & it works fine so far. Obviously can’t get DAB but I can live with that.

Mr G

MR G
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Owner
There are how to guides on the forum, please use the search box or take a look in the relevant topic.