Another potential owner

Spencer Barratt

Premium Member
E51 Owner
No way that is 45k miles, the steering wheel and drivers seat look at least double that if not more. I have a 2003 Highway Star with 50k miles of certified mileage and the steering wheel and drivers seat look much better.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
No way that is 45k miles, the steering wheel and drivers seat look at least double that if not more. I have a 2003 Highway Star with 50k miles of certified mileage and the steering wheel and drivers seat look much better.

Mines done 160k and looks similar driver’s seat wise. I hope it’s a smokers car or steering wheel is off another car ... it’s rank.
My car had dials changed at 100k in 2009. Perhaps it’s an ‘honest mistake’ rather than clocking but it needs paperwork to back up and a mileage check.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
There are some real DODGY ones out there and to be avoided at all costs unless they are going for a song and TBH if they were I would still steer clear. Time bombs ticking they are and once they blow they are worth NOTHING, only Scrap value.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Somewhere on this site I read that an owner managed to find the service record mileage for his car while it was in Japan. I have followed up the link for recalls and my car has had each one of them, since 2004,carried out. I would be interested in knowing if the mileage is genuine. It hasn't been altered since the auction but may have been altered prior. I understand that the engine, a 3.5l V6 petrol, has an automatically adjusting chain instead of a cam belt, so that should not be an issue. If the mileage is higher than shown on the dash, I would definitely change out (or get changed out) the spark plugs. There is a fascinating You Tube video by an Australian guy changing the plugs with a minimum of disturbance to the engine, but I can imagine that it is the sort of job that could reduce any sane person to tears. Not that I am suggesting that the Australians aren't sane. Just made of sterner stuff than us Brits. Some of my best friends are Australian (I am digging myself a hole her aren't I?).

Chris T

Here for life
Premium Member
Well today my imaginary Elgrand became a step closer to becoming an actual real car, due to the fact the money I was waiting on has arrived in my bank, so finally I know what I have available to spend.

So without having to sell anything (I had considered selling a nice guitar or 2 at one point) I have 6k available to me.

So that figure means I realistically have little choice with a reputable Elgrand dealer, so the decision I have to make over the coming weeks is take the leap with a private seller or take the leap of importing one.

Pros and cons on both options so not sure which way I'm going to go with it yet.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
I bought my 2004 E51 for £6k (sitting in the street with a for sale sign on it). The auction documentation confirms 33k km at the time it left Japan, but it could have been "clocked" prior to the auction. I thought I got a good deal and am happy with what I paid. There are dealers asking £7k to £11k for similar vehicles. On the other hand there was someone on this forum who purchased a newer model (albeit with higher mileage) for £2.8k by importing. Have replaced secondary cats with straight pipe (helps to stop the engine from blowing up). Have also read that LPG conversions can result in a hydraulic effect that blows up the engine (who knows?). Bought the car mainly to transport the grandchildren and for holiday use. It is fine as an everyday car and my wife (slightly over 5'0") has no problem driving it. The steering response it amazing and you would never think that you are driving a vehicle of this size. It slightly wider than a Bongo, but narrower than a Lexus 350 (which is one of the cars I have previously owned).
Don't think economy with this car think luxury!

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
@Frogeyepete the LPG concern you read was an engine that became "hydrolocked" due to the valve saver lubricant leaking into the block over a period of 2 weeks.

It was a one off incident and could have happened on any car with a valve saver system.

I wouldn't let that put you off converting.

Frogeyepete

Premium Member
E51 Owner
@Frogeyepete the LPG concern you read was an engine that became "hydrolocked" due to the valve saver lubricant leaking into the block over a period of 2 weeks.

It was a one off incident and could have happened on any car with a valve saver system.

I wouldn't let that put you off converting.
Do all LPG conversions include a valve saver system?

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Mine was £6k otr, Auction in Japan via Respect Motors. Absolutely what I hoped for. Best car I’ve ever owned. Regardless of £ savings I’d do it again that way.

I might be tempted by a private sale but good high spec cars fetch good money whether here or in Japan.