All Am I completely Nuts?

Garry Daniels

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Not sure if this idea is completely nutty, or whether it could work.

1 - Most budget ECM readers send out their info via a bluetooth signal to a phone (Android) or a tablet (Windoze).
2 - The BlueDriver reader offers both Apple and Android free downloadable apps.
3 - Is a bluetooth signal a generic thing, i.e. not platform specific?
4 - So, could an iphone / ipad with the Apple blueDriver app installed be paired with this signal to read the data?

Anyone care to try it?

Alan Morgan

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
> Not all BT adapters are equal in that the BT chip set needs to communicate correctly with the vehicle ECU (ie, the correct protocol )
> once that 1st hurdle is passed, you then need a suitable application (on your PC and/or smartphone) that understands the received messages from the ECU and can issue commands/instruction in the appropriate format.

The are a number of postings around (search icarsoft for instance, or consult II) to give you an insight into this topic.

Garry Daniels

E50 Owner
Premium Member
Sorry, you are missing my point. I'm talking about known ECM readers which DO talk to an ELgrand's computer, and which transmit the engine info via Bluetooth. Most of these readers it seems pair with Android devices only. My question is whether an iphone /ipad with the appropriate app (see BlueDriver page) could pair with the ECM reader and thus receive the information.

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
Apple's Bluetooth Protocols are not friendly with anything other than Apple devices.

Most of the readers that transmit Bluetooth also transmit over WiFi, which you can connect to via an Apple device.

I have never, and will never, own an Apple device, so it's not something I can try out on your behalf.