WANTED Aircon compressor

Steve57

Premium Member
Bearing gone in fan motor. Bought one on eBay dismantled the front end, bumper, grill, headlights, reinforcement and finally the fan. Fitted the replacement fan/motor and oops! Different wiring connector, take it back off and compare with original. Turns out original has four wires and replacement only two. Thunderbird 2 now sitting on the side of the road with no front end. That'll teach me to check before getting the spanners out.
So, need a Aircon/condenser motor with FOUR wires. Anyone have one or know where I can find one. Thanks.

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
No he has the e50 with the vq35 engine. Different set up to the e51 with the vq35 engine. Hard to come by too as not that many made so seldom get e50 vq35 breakers in. But thanks for pointing him our way lads appriciated
Steve
Tojomotorsuk

Steve57

Premium Member
Bummer 😣 . Only one I've found so far is in Japan at the extortionate price of £475 🤯 .
Might have to try and cut the motor open to see if I can rebush it.

stevemen

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Yep or if you have access to e50 vq35 wiring diagrams see if its possible the loop or bypass your 4 wiring system and convert to the 2 wiring system

Steve57

Premium Member
The saga continues. Turns out that my brother is both blind and deaf 😗. Put Thunderbird 2 back together again without the Aircon fan. STILL screaming like a bloody banshee. Spotted smoke wafting up from low in the engine bay. NEVER has a battery been disconnected as quick. Fire extinguisher grabbed from the garage and on standby right next to the wheel, reconnected the battery and ignition on=no smoke, not electrical then.
Start the engine again behold! The banshee is running amok again and blowing smoke once more. Ignition off and battery disconnected again, took the engine cover off for a look see, everything looks OK. Started feeling around the engine bay and OUCH! THAT'S BLOODY HOT.
My hand had brushed against the Aircon compressor. You could grill a steak on it.
So it turns out that Bruv can't tell the difference between a fan motor and a compressor.
Looks like a pig of a job to change too, anyone know how much a compressor is? This is starting to feel like a money pit.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Looks like a pig of a job to change too, anyone know how much a compressor is? This is starting to feel like a money pit.
My ac guys didn’t mention it was a pig or charge me excessively.... @stevemen will have a secondhand one I’m sure 😁

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
The aircon compressor should only run when it' magneto clutch is engaged, when the aircon is turned on and when the fan is running. Is the clutch stuck in the engaged position ?

Steve57

Premium Member
Finally got the time to remove the compressor. Compressor clutch making grinding noise and compressor seized so I need both. Had to remove the airbox and one of the aircon pipes to get it out the top as it wouldn't drop through the bottom. Took a while longer than I'd thought it would.
This is what I need. IMG_20180130_111219.jpg IMG_20180130_110523.jpg IMG_20180130_110350.jpg
And just for fun, this is what my cat thinks of me. No respect for her betters. IMG_20180129_233109.jpg