4th Gear

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
At what speed does 4th kick in on a E50 3.2 (QD32) ? Mine's doing it around 70mph
Have you checked your AT fluid for level and also colour???

If your able to get underneath for a look just check all the linkages are correctly connected and nothing is loose or looks out of place.

Have you also got your OVERDRIVE button off thus no light on the dash??

All initial simple checks and if they are all fine and its still not changing up sooner I think you may have an issue.

JasonS

E50 Owner
I checked the fluids looks fine redish colour not dark and doesn't spelt burnt. Since posting this I tried a trip around home with the (Power) switch turned on and it went through the gears nice and smooth. I going to change the ATF Fluid next week. It's probably never been changed since new.. and it's 19 years old.

Steve~Mk1

Here for life
E50 Owner
Premium Member
I think you should certainly be in 4th by 50mph, when the torque converter locks up (sometimes with a juddering effect if you hover around 48-50mph...but that's another story).

Brendan1969

Part of the furniture
Premium Member
E51 Owner
I checked the fluids looks fine redish colour not dark and doesn't spelt burnt. Since posting this I tried a trip around home with the (Power) switch turned on and it went through the gears nice and smooth. I going to change the ATF Fluid next week. It's probably never been changed since new.. and it's 19 years old.
Ok buddy but if the fluid is nice and red as it should be then I would leave it alone or at least do a filter change as well for 100% satisfaction. It should however being changing up smoothly and PDQ but if you have got the power button on then it will hold the gears longer which its supposed to do thus no top gear until the speed you said unless your ragging it through those gears in which it will hold out until max revs before changing up.

Personally I would not do this and use her in normal mode all the time for better efficiency.

Regards,