E51 2004 e51 cruise control cuts out

Mivkprit

E51 Owner
Can anyone help i have a 2004 e51 elgrand and the cruise control cuts out on its own even with no cars in front of me. Anyone else had this problem and what was the cause.

George322

Premium Member
It might sound obvious but.... have you cleaned the plate on the front?
Mine gets dirty very quickly in this weather. Lots of wet and road grit and mud soon stops it from working.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
What plate where do i find it .
I am assuming you have the FULL factory fitted Cruise kit on yours???

On the front grill you will see a plastic triangle below the Nissan badge. This needs to be CLEAN at all times. They can also fade like the headlights do on E51's so they must also be clean and shiny. This allows the sensor inside of it to see clearly in front when on the move. If its dirty and or fogged up it will interfere with the Cruise control working as it should so look at this first.

I have fitted an OEM E51 cruise control kit on my Rider which I imported from Australia. However it is ONLY a standard Cruise kit WITHOUT the adaptive option so much better and less hassel. Maybe there is a way of disabling ONLY the adaptive side of the factory fitted Cruise kit thus it will just work on standard mode only hence no more troubles.

Andy916

Premium Member

On the front grill you will see a plastic triangle below the Nissan badge. This needs to be CLEAN at all times. They can also fade like the headlights do on E51's so they must also be clean and shiny. This allows the sensor inside of it to see clearly in front when on the move. If its dirty and or fogged up it will interfere with the Cruise control working as it should so look at this first.

I have fitted an OEM E51 cruise control kit on my Rider which I imported from Australia. However it is ONLY a standard Cruise kit WITHOUT the adaptive option so much better and less hassel. Maybe there is a way of disabling ONLY the adaptive side of the factory fitted Cruise kit thus it will just work on standard mode only hence no more troubles.
With the series 1 E51 I don't think there is a way of disabling 'adaptive', but if there is I'd very much like to know about it! It's not only the front-side that gets mucky - @MrRob_in says that behind needs to be clean too, but I don't know how to get in there yet to clean it. The series 1 adaptive cc is the one real disappointment in a year of E51 ownershiip - I'd really like to ditch the adaptive part of it.

jackv

E51 Owner
My CC has never worked and the BA dashboard light is on all the time. But reading this post has given me hope to try and get it working again. Hope you get yours working again.

MrRob_in

Part of the furniture (please de-cat your e51/2)
Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Mine was shit until I cleaned both sides of lens and the transceiver. Works perfectly now unless wipers are on. Only issue is it’s max set speed is 110 kph.
I did post a how to get cruise error codes thread that might be worth searching out of it’s malfunctioning.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
@MrRob_in do you unbolt the whole grill to get in there, and is any special care needed in cleaning the tranceiver? Once cleaned have they stayed clean enough to work well? Thanks.
You might be able to access it all from underneath the vehicle if its on a ramp and you removed the under trays or if not then its a CAREFULLY executed job of removing the front grill UNLESS there are mount bolts on the CC radar which allow you to JUST remove that part. If memory serves me right is there not an Adaptive button on the Factory fitted CC controls??? surely this allows you to select if you want normal CC or adaptive mode maybe??? I'm not sure.

I had adaptive CC on my Chrysler 300c ( new model ) and you could choose on that which mode you preferred as well as collision avoidance mode too. Very clever car it was too.

Andy916

Premium Member
You might be able to access it all from underneath the vehicle if its on a ramp and you removed the under trays or if not then its a CAREFULLY executed job of removing the front grill UNLESS there are mount bolts on the CC radar which allow you to JUST remove that part. If memory serves me right is there not an Adaptive button on the Factory fitted CC controls??? surely this allows you to select if you want normal CC or adaptive mode maybe??? I'm not sure.

I had adaptive CC on my Chrysler 300c ( new model ) and you could choose on that which mode you preferred as well as collision avoidance mode too. Very clever car it was too.
You would think so, but no. Whilst the manual describes switching off the distance adaptive function, that applies to the series 2. The pre-facelift E51 CC cannot be used in speed-only mode unfortunately.

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
If s1 top grill has to come out. All my little square locking peg things snapped and there were plenty of snapped faster on mine so it came off easy.

I just used a microfibre cloth and plenty of water to remove the road grime that had built up inside the lens and on the transceiver. It certainly wasn’t totally clean and the outer lens is visibly ‘not shiny’ but I’ve had no unexpected trips or warning screens since early September and my car gets very very muddy every day.

MrRob_in

Staff member
Premium Member
E51 Expert
E51 Owner
Not really. The distance control only works as you get too close on the vehicle ahead. It even applies the brakes for you. You’d have to slow down anyway, ior would you prefer it rammed into the car for you? I miss it on the Chevy.

It’s only if the system is malfunctioning that it’s an advantage to turn off distance control.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Not really. The distance control only works as you get too close on the vehicle ahead. It even applies the brakes for you. You’d have to slow down anyway, ior would you prefer it rammed into the car for you? I miss it on the Chevy.

It’s only if the system is malfunctioning that it’s an advantage to turn off distance control.
Why do things have to be so complicated these days eh:worried:

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
These days? My NE51 was first registered 14 years ago!

I'll have a go at cleaning the inner surfaces of my lidar sensor this weekend. As it's malfunctioned for most of the year that I've had it, it'd be nice to be able to use CC at last!
I will be using mine properly tomorrow on our trip to Manchester for the weekend. Looking forward to seeing how well she does now MPG wise.

Col3356

E51 Owner

Hi Brendan, how much was the CC kit, and how difficult was it to fit ?.

Brendan1969

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Hi guys, I just hought I would post up on here the full details of the guy in Australia who I acquired my OEM Cruise control kit from so if anyone is thinking of doing the same then you can make direct contact.

His name is Mike Sandham ( English guy living and working over there ) and he works for a company called unitedfuel.com.au

email for Mike is as follows, msandham@unitedfuel.com.au

att are some pics of the OEM CC kit I now have. As you can see it comes in Black ONLY and has NOT got the confusing and troublesome adaptive side of things buttom thus making it a very simple and problem free item. TBH I can live with the fact it only comes in Black. I am so glad ive had it fitted as its made a huge difference to long trips.

Regards, Brendan SNV32364.JPG SNV32365.JPG SNV32366.JPG SNV32367.JPG SNV32368.JPG SNV32369.JPG SNV32370.JPG SNV32433.JPG