E51 12v feed usb

hi guys not really an ice question but i thought here might be the best place

i want to fit some usb sockets, plan is a couple in the blanked off sockets next to steering wheel and maybe one in the compartment between the front two seats.

the question is where is the best place to take a 12v feed from to wire these in, im a total noob to car electrics so any help would be great

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-2USB...hash=item28489a57ff:m:mE9Vu73UEv0yT2y8_VwgrLQ

drivers sockets

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foxnovo-Po...rd_wg=18ydC&psc=1&refRID=6KZR4KNX0RKPS5E9Y47D

sockets for compartment

Last edited:

spuddyo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
piggy back off a fuse in the fuse box behind the coin tray by your right knee. There is an english translation of the fuse layout on the forum if you use the search button at the top of this page it should pop up. Piggy back fuses are available at most car spares shops for a couple of quid.

piggy back off a fuse in the fuse box behind the coin tray by your right knee. There is an english translation of the fuse layout on the forum if you use the search button at the top of this page it should pop up. Piggy back fuses are available at most car spares shops for a couple of quid.

Thanks steve. I have had a look around the forum using the search but the only links ive found are dead. Same using Google.

Does anyone have a live link or picture they can post up?

Thanks

Karl

Founder
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
E50 Expert
If any links TO THE FORUM are HTTPS, please change them to HTTP for them to work, else you won't get to where you need to go.

Hope this works. fuses are on page 40 of this. https://www.dropbox.com/s/idlzgsf67yf79av/E51 Quick Reference Guide.pdf?dl=0

If you want all the manuals, they're here (will take a while to download) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/61hda3vejx1nmg8/AABZtm76VOAHnRfACbeGFS_ua?dl=0
Thats great. Thanks for the help and links guys. Got the translation and Im thinking to use the cigarette fuse? Should that be fine?

Do i just remove the whole fuse box and then go in at the back of the fuse? Car is actually in for a repair and decat so cant have a poke around till it gets back

Biffo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Easier picking up from behind the cig lighter direct, that's where I've picked up from for a CB. (couple of us do long'ish mileage together with c/vans)

Easier picking up from behind the cig lighter direct, that's where I've picked up from for a CB. (couple of us do long'ish mileage together with c/vans)

Did you have to take the whole fascia off at that side or is there a way to remove the cigarette lighter without taking the fascia off and access the cables that way?

Biffo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
Just been to check because I couldn't remember., i think that I did it whilst I was fitting the double din radio, so had good access through there.

I THINK that if you pull the small surround panel forwards where the cig lighter is, then you'll see 2 screws to remove, but there is also 2 screws going upwards as well that will need to come out. then I THINK that the cig lighter brkt is released, don't shoot me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:
Just been to check because I couldn't remember., i think that I did it whilst I was fitting the double din radio, so had good access through there.

I THINK that if you pull the small surround panel forwards where the cig lighter is, then you'll see 2 screws to remove, but there is also 2 screws going upwards as well that will need to come out. then I THINK that the cig lighter brkt is released, don't shoot me if i'm wrong.
what series is yours? is your lighter socket below the the headunit or to the left of the steering wheel ?

Biffo

Premium Member
E51 Owner
put a photo up of it, if it's in the large panel that's behind the steering wheel, that's dead easy to get off. 4 screws to remove the bonnet & fuel filler pulls, then it just pulls forwards. start at the end near the door.